Birds Hill United Church
God’s Family of Seekers and Servants
Welcome to Bird’s Hill United Church!
This quaint, small church is nestled in the Town of Bird’s Hill and is filled with warm, caring people who not only enjoy the Sunday Services but also support a vibrant UCW, Prayer Group, Outreach Programs and Adult Education.
10:00 a.m. from September to June.
What We Believe
Birds Hill United Church is part of the United Church of Canada. Please visit their website to learn more about what we believe.
At Birds Hill United Church we are a part of God’s family of seekers and servants guided by the teachings of Jesus, accepting and welcoming people of all races, ages, abilities, sexual orientations and gender identities in a safe, just and respectful environment in all aspects of our ministry, with open doors and open hearts.
Special Services and Events
OUR SERVICES ARE ON SUNDAYS @ 10:00 AM AND THE FOLLOWING WILL BE ADHERED TO
Safe distance seating is available in both the Sanctuary and in the Hall where the sound system allows you to hear equally well. Anyone who is sick is asked to stay at home and get better. Government regulations have been relaxed and Mask wearing is optional (we have a supply at the door if that is your preference). Hand sanitizer is available at the entrance and attendance will be taken. Refreshments will be served after the service – please plan to stay. We want to keep everyone safe and healthy. We look forward to seeing you.
Ongoing Events (September to June)
• Tuesday Morning Prayer Group (TMPG) meets @ 9:45 am @ the Church or at various homes each Tuesday Morning. Call Louise Chernetz @204-299-7792 to confirm the location
• United Church Women (UCW) meets @ 1:00 pm @ the Church the 1st Thursday of every month – THE NEXT MEETING WILL TAKE PLACE ON MARCH 7TH, 2024 @ 1:00
- Board Meeting @ 12:30 pm @ the Church the 1st Tuesday of every month – NEXT MEETING MARCH 12TH, 2024.
- Worship Committee Meeting on March 5th, 2024 @12:15 pm
- Men’s Breakfast @ 8:30 am at the Legion on De Vries & Henderson the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of every month
- Meeting exploring Collaborative Ministry was held at Immanuel United Church, 755 Golspie Street on Wednesday, September 21st, 2022, from 7-9 pm. 5 members from BHUC were in attendance. Further meetings were held on May 29th, 2023 @John Black United Church from 7:00-9:00 pm, and October 12th, 2023 @ 7:00 p.m. at Immanuel United Church, 755 Golspie Street. 5 members from BHUC were in attendance.
- T’BJIGGN PLANNING MEETING: Meetings will be held via Zoom or in person as arranged (this is a planning meeting which involves Transcona Memorial United Church, Bird’s Hill United Church; John Black Memorial United Church, Immanuel United Church, Grey Street United Church, Gordon King Memorial United Church and North Kildonan United Church). A Zoom Meeting will be held @ 10:30 am on March 4th. Our next meeting thereafter will be at North Kildonan United Church (date to be determined).
- Our next Perogy Making date is February 26, 2024. (place your orders with Jackie W at 204-668-8442 or email firstname.lastname@example.org) They are $7.00 a dozen.
- “COFFEE ON BURT”, Wednesdays from 1-3 (a well-deserved midweek break in our church hall). Come and join us. This is open to all ages. Come and bring your family and friends or come alone and meet your neighbours for fun and visiting. Coffee/Tea and snacks will be available to enjoy. This is an opportunity to have coffee and conversation or play a game of cards, cribbage or any other game that you enjoy or if you knit or crochet, bring your project with you. We have an abundance of puzzles. The aim is to have a relaxing enjoyable time.
- Ron Hayes finished a six-week presentation on “Aging Into Freedom” at Adult Education on Wednesdays, 7:00-9:00 pm in our church hall in 2022. Stay tuned for his next presentation in 2024 – date yet to be determined.
- Saturday, February 24th from 7-9:30 MARK YOUR CALENDARS for a really fun evening “REWIND – THE SHOW BAND” Tickets are $20.00 each It will be a really fun evening of music and entertainment, snacks and refreshments which will take place at Immanuel United Church, 755 Golspie Street at Kimberly. This concert is being put on by Northeast United Churches (which includes us) and the proceeds will go to 1JustCity. Each church has 30 tickets to sell, so please check with your friends and family to see if they are up for a nice evening out. Tickets can be purchased from Jackie Blonski (204-668-0503). The reason that it is taking place at Immanuel is their space is perfect for a concert, with a large stage and room for dancing and is also wheelchair accessible. Posters for the event are on both bulletin boards at the church.
- Thursday, February 29th from 1:00-3:30 Karen will be doing a workshop. Said workshop will be an opportunity to understand why we worship. What does the word “Worship” mean? If you are interested in attending, please place your name on the sign-up sheet at the church or call the church and advise of your interest to attend.
Rev. Karen E. Toole
Ordained United Church Minister
Karen is a prominent Winnipeg speaker on spirituality, grief, loss and aging.